|Showcase > Arcade ( Created 08 July 2007 | Last Edited 06 November 2008)|
|Millenipede - Created by Prospero (Rating 100%)|
50% centipede, 50% millipede, 100% 3rd millenium
|Millenipede is a fast-paced arcade shoot 'em up inspired by the classic Atari game Centipede. It was originally developed in less than seven days for the 94th Wednesday Workshop right here at SoCoder, but since then it's sort of grown and developed a life of its own - nothing groundbreaking, but curiously good fun!|
Your aim is to zap all of the millenipedes on each wave while dodging spiders, snails and of course the millenipedes themselves. They'll make their way down the screen until eventually they hit the bottom, at which point they will roam around the player area until you shoot them. Don't tarry too long, though, or the warden will come looking for you...
Each dead millenipede will, for some environmentally friendly reason, grow into a mushroom (or other piece of debris). These serve no purpose aside from blocking the movement of other millenipedes and hindering your bullets. Each mushroom takes four shots to completely destroy.
If you touch any enemy, be it a millenipede, spider or snail, you lose a life - but if you can manage to shoot them first then a nice points bonus will head your way. See how long you can survive and aim for the top spot on the highscore table!
The game's source code (for both the latest version and the original 7-day workshop version) is available from the downloads section of the Millenipede homepage at:
v1.2.0 - 1st November 2008 - "Nemesis"
* ADD: Online highscores! Time to show the world how good you are!
* ADD: Powerups! Fight against the onslaught with an expanded arsenal!
* ADD: Statistics! More useless information than you could shake a stick at!
* ADD: Significantly refined visuals and rebalanced gameplay
* ADD: Hanging around on a wave to farm "easy" points is now a very bad idea
* ADD: Some new and remixed music (thanks, Okeanos!)
* ADD: The mouse can now be used to navigate the front menus
* ADD: Option to adjust the amount of particles
* ADD: Help screen
* ADD: Credits screen
* MAC: New FMod code to allow easier Mac compilation (thanks Brucey & Josh!)
* MAC: Millenipede is now playable on PowerPC Macs (thanks Josh!)
* TWEAK: Extra lives are now awarded every 5000 points, not 2500 as before
* TWEAK: Added some splash screens
* TWEAK: Fiddled about with the main menu and options screen layouts
* TWEAK: Poison mushrooms have a more noticeable glow to attract your attention
* TWEAK: Windows title bar now has a proper icon (thanks, Grey Alien!)
* BUG: Rare possibility of dying twice or more in one game frame was removed
* BUG: Incorrect audio behaviour when starting with sound disabled is now fixed
* BUG: The HUD lives display will no longer overlap the score
* BUG: Music and gap sound effect playback should now be more reliable
* BUG: Prevented horizontal snails from painting shrooms not on their row
* BUG: Stopped the topleft shroom from being eaten by millenipedes too quickly
|Posted : Sunday, 08 July 2007, 14:43|
Vote : 5
|This is a fun and well-made little retro-y remake, complete with interesting enemies and flashy particle effects with a retro twist. Honestly, I find myself still coming back to it again and again just to see if I can beat my highscore. |
Great little game to fire up quickly and pass a few minutes with.
The new version is awesome.
|Posted : Sunday, 08 July 2007, 15:42|
|I got the highscore first try!! |
Cracking game. Just gets better and better!
|edit| LMAO. I used one of the ingame tunes "cyborgjeff_bnflavourchocolate.it" as the title theme for Space Monkeys 5 : The one with the chickens... Put me right off my game.. Only got 118 points 'cos I was laughing so sillily! |edit|
|Posted : Thursday, 18 September 2008, 12:16|
|I'm not sure why I didn't notice this when it was on the homepage...|
It's an all around solid retro game. Excellent. And the retro-y particle effects are outstanding.
Gonna go play more.
|Posted : Thursday, 18 September 2008, 13:51|
Vote : 5
|Indeed. A cracking game. |
*adds a vote.. it's only a year and a bit late *
|Posted : Sunday, 02 November 2008, 02:44|
|Version 1.2.0 is now available with Super Lotsa Cool Stuff Enjoy!|
|Posted : Sunday, 02 November 2008, 06:58|
|Yeay! More Pede!!|