-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|593|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
SoCoder -> Blogs Home -> Blogs


 
rychan
Created : 06 April 2014
 
System : Mac

More Planning and Framework Learning

No game today. but soon-ish.

Planning things in Monkey, sure is different to planning in Unity, that's for sure.

With Unity I've been more carefree when it comes to naming variables and reliant on the handy editors GUI, part of the learning process with monkey has meant changing my GUI reliant approach quite radically.

Before Unity I used mainly Flash and a touch of Visual Basic with DirectX going back to 2001 - 2005 so it's been a while since I've even written code to load assets in manually.

So, time to use one of my most rarely used programming constructs: Constants.

I'm not going to remember easily that the image in position 34 equates to the particles for a purple gem being collected, far better to use nomenclature and refer to it as IMG_PARTICLES_PURPLE that's for sure.

I've Const'd up screens, images, sfx and music assets, as integers to reduce memory footprint a touch, have more plans for extra game modes and figured out a way to save text characters with Monkeys simple LoadState and SaveState commands.

I'm planning on using "-" as a variable seperator, and prior to joining elements together, replacing all hyphens with something no-one would enter unless they just wanted to be annoying, say "|&&&&|".

The resulting array will probably need to be Const'd up (that's a thing now btw) but will be fairly flexible until I've nailed how much scope to put on this lil game.

Sadly, this means no game today. I had a feeling I'd get swept away with family, household goo and that rather epic grand prix I've just watched though.

I'm committed to Monkey now for sure, all the basics are there, just need to put them all together and fire through some free music archives at some point!

 

Comments


Monday, 07 April 2014, 07:08
9572AD
Just don't try saving data as an image. Jayenkai's been all over that idea, and there is apparently zero consistency between targets in Monkey.
Monday, 07 April 2014, 07:41
rychan
Ha! wow, that is something I've never considered doing. It could result in some interesting looking images mind you!
Monday, 07 April 2014, 08:02
Jayenkai
Yeah, anything that doesn't use 32-bit seems to dither the image, so when you try to read the data back, you get random unexpected colours all over the place.
I originally thought that a simple "divide it by 8" should allow for any inconsistencies, but "Grrr.. Android fragmentation!!!" meant that some devices were doing COMPLETELY different things than others.
I eventually gave up.
Unless you're doing digital style black/white, its not a safe method for storing data. Unfortunately.
Monday, 07 April 2014, 10:26
rychan
I should be playing with exporting to android bits n bobs tonight which should be fun, probably test on some low power devices first, just some stress test stuff mostly.
Tuesday, 08 April 2014, 09:40
rychan
Small update. I did manage to get Monkey Pro working with Android last night, after going through some config gumpf but then it lost all it's ability to export Desktop Versions....Craziness!

Should be fine though, will just export to HTML5 For testing for the moment.
Tuesday, 08 April 2014, 09:44
Jayenkai
Try shoving "#GLFW_USE_MINGW=True" into your project.
True = MinGW, False = Visual gubbins.
Tuesday, 08 April 2014, 18:23
rychan
Cool, will give that a try tomorrow hopefully, baby depending! The lil monkey has been particularly awake n screamy tonight which sadly equals no coding times, sad panda :|