-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|486|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Blitz -> What i've been working on

Wed, 01 Feb 2012, 01:16
Mog
Hey guys,

Just thought i'd pop in and show a little progress of what i've been working on. It's more of a prototype idea i'm playing around with in Blitz3D (yes, i still use Blitz3D, more on this in a bit) - For now, Observe:

I'm calling this project Pyroxene, since it's based around terrain generation (points if you can point out WHY i'd call it pyroxene!) - it's a neat little thing i've cobbled up that you can dump heightmaps into in a patchwork fashion, and it will generate terrain between them. It's great for large worlds. As an added bonus, they're completely physics-enabled too, so large world + open physics engine = lots of fun to be had.

Also, i've managed to bolt on a script engine that allows for completely isolated contexts of execution, so you can just write a script for an object and drop it in without fearing it's going to screw up something elses variable space. As you can see in the picture above, i have a PWC (personal watercraft) loaded as a script, and it's merrily sailing around. You press a key, you get control of it. All within it's own self-contained little script.

I've only been working on this for a month, and i'm wondering if i should continue, seeing as how im using Blitz3D of all things. It's showing it's age, and i'm struggling to make it push as much as possible. I really wish Mark would update the engine, but that seems like a pipedream...

What do ya think?

-=-=-
I am Busy Mongoose - My Website

Dev PC: AMD 8150-FX, 16gb Ram, GeForce GTX 680 2gb

Current Project: Pyroxene
Wed, 01 Feb 2012, 01:43
JL235
It's a pretty cool idea. I like how your sowing bits of landscape together. That would be especially useful if it handles loading them in and out too, so you can patch together a massive map without running into memory issues.

If you are thinking of switching to something else, then I'd make that decision now rather then later. It probably wouldn't take long to port the project to run on something else, since all the algorithms are worked out. Personally I would because there are a lot more off the shelf libraries you can take advantage of.

But if Blitz3D works for you, then it works!
Wed, 01 Feb 2012, 03:44
Mog
DD: Yeah, it loads/unloads based on a 3x3 matrix around you, even going as far as only updating entities that fall within your immediate surroundings, otherwise things like physics bodies, terrain, entities, ect, are hidden / are only updating superficially, nothing intensive. It actually runs pretty good.

-=-=-

Wed, 01 Feb 2012, 06:23
Afr0
Aw, Mog. I'm really envious of what you're capable of doing, even with outdated technology.
It's too bad you never seem to finish any of the stuff you work on - I guess we're pretty much alike there.
In order to avoid falling into that trap again I ended up going with a project that was predefined for me. I think that's been my main issue in the past - I've never defined (read: designed) anything, so I was never fully aware of what I was doing.

-=-=-
Afr0 Games

Project Dollhouse on Github - Please fork!
Wed, 01 Feb 2012, 13:47
Mog
Yeah, I agree i never seem to finish anything, but i guess it's because i never really plan to finish it. Call it exercises... Maybe someday i will.

-=-=-