-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|602|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Blitz -> MonkeyMax

Sat, 14 Apr 2012, 19:27
therevillsgames
Awhile ago (6 months) I started a little project on Monkey which would output BlitzMax code (in other words, a new target for Monkey).

I managed to get it to mostly work, but got bored of it... until Karja over on the Monkey forums 3 weeks ago kicked it off again.

We now have now got it at a nearly ready to use state

Even the Box2D Monkey port demos run on it:

View on YouTube

So if you want to have a play with it you can grab it off the GoogleCode site:

code.google.com/p/diddy/wiki/MonkeyMax

And let me know if you find any bugs
Sun, 15 Apr 2012, 05:15
Afr0
If I may be so bold - is there any point to this?
IIRC Max doesn't support any platforms that Monkey doesn't already, and isn't particularly faster than any of the languages that Monkey supports..?

-=-=-
Afr0 Games

Project Dollhouse on Github - Please fork!
Sun, 15 Apr 2012, 05:29
Jayenkai
Well, if Max is a little more stable, on its Target platforms, then yeah.. sure... why not?

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 16 Apr 2012, 02:42
therevillsgames
is there any point to this?

Just off the top of my head:
* DirectX Target
* Stable Windows and Mac Target
* Linux supported (Monkey does not offically support Linux)
* Debugger
* Easy to add code to change resolution/fullscreen etc
Mon, 16 Apr 2012, 10:37
Afr0
Stable Windows and Mac Target

So Monkey isn't stable? Then why was it released in the first place? :\

DirectX Target

It isn't the technique that matters, it's the end result! I.E. if you can do the same things using an OpenGL target (which you should be able to do unless Monkey is missing some features), why do you need a DirectX target?

-=-=-
Afr0 Games

Mon, 16 Apr 2012, 12:52
9572AD
Dependong on your platform, DX or OGL may be far, far faster and more stable, so it's nice to be able to choose.

-=-=-
All the raw, animal magnetism of a rutabaga.
Mon, 16 Apr 2012, 14:34
Afr0
Really? I know that DX isn't supported on Linux, but that's kind of a moot point since Monkey apparently doesn't support Linux to begin with...

-=-=-
Afr0 Games

Mon, 16 Apr 2012, 17:39
JL235
I think he meant platform as in your mix of hardware, Windows version and drivers. OpenGL support can be pretty mixed; especially on older Intel hardware. Plus some people just prefer DirectX, especially as it includes a lot of very powerful tools.
Thu, 19 Apr 2012, 16:48
9572AD
Does MonkeyMax require diddy or did it just wind up on the diddy wiki?

-=-=-
All the raw, animal magnetism of a rutabaga.
Thu, 19 Apr 2012, 16:56
therevillsgames
Nope, I just stuck it in there for ease. I really should create a new GoogleCode project for it... maybe later
Sat, 21 Apr 2012, 03:39
Dabz

It isn't the technique that matters, it's the end result! I.E. if you can do the same things using an OpenGL target (which you should be able to do unless Monkey is missing some features), why do you need a DirectX target?

Because some game portals/publishers are still a bit 'meh' when it comes to OpenGL, I've talked to devs, just the other week I had a drink in Newcastle with about 40 of them (Some from Ubisoft), and even though OpenGL is not as bad as it was, the mentality that DirectX is better is still there.

As far as I can see, the barriers are coming down, but, if you can offer both a OpenGL driver and a DirectX driver (Which you can in BlitzMax, which now has a third party DirectX11 driver), then there's no problem, which then makes this monkey target one of the more important ones.

If I was Mark, I would drop a number of targets and just replace them for this.

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Sat, 16 Jun 2012, 20:43
therevillsgames
I think MonkeyMax is now Monkey/Mojo feature complete

Recently added:

* Music and Sound commands
* LoadState / SaveState
* OnResume and OnSuspend
* Config variables

Latest zip can be downloaded here.
Fri, 24 Aug 2012, 19:38
therevillsgames
MonkeyMax has been updated to work with Monkey V63 (with Read/Write pixels).
Sat, 25 Aug 2012, 01:49
Afr0
If I was Mark, I would drop a number of targets and just replace them for this.

That'd be retarded. Then he should at least include BMax when you buy Mojo. It would be better to focus on the C++ target and make it DirectX compatible.

-=-=-
Afr0 Games