-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|570|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Blitz -> Monkey Updates...

Thu, 07 Mar 2013, 00:05
Dabz
I currently dont use monkey for anything at the minute, but, still go over there now and again for a read while I'm having a brew in the morning, on the basis of keeping up to speed just in case, preemptive strike if you will.

Anyway, the thing occurred to me, which I've never clicked on till now is the amount of updates that are being churned out, which is, in fact, putting me off using it.

It's currently at version v68b, though, one version was 67f... Eh!?!

Now, the alpha part of of the version number suggests that he's fixed minor bugs for that version (Or is it revision?), but, thinking about it, to get the newest version with bug fixes while building your game, your gonna have to constantly download the sodding thing, update your modules accordingly if your using external libs and bindings...

So, take the case of version 67, to keep abreast of the newest version, you literally had to download 6 versions of that, only to find that there's a version 68 released, which at the current time of writing, was released two days ago, and is now on version 67b, and it looks like it will end up with a 67c because there's something wrong with outputing text via Error/Print!

To me, it looks, well, mad!!!

I think it would've been better if BRL did the updates of old, few and far between, but always... Always was worth the wait and most of the time, these updates were rock solid and you could pretty much use them off the bat... As well as when updating it replaced the contents on the original installation with the update, so, no real faffing around.

For me, it just seems like its all a bit rushed, which is never really the best way to do things :fridge-magnet:

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Thu, 07 Mar 2013, 00:48
Jayenkai
If you're using anything external, then yes, it's a bitch! Especially since Mark recommends a fresh clean install each and every time. Yikes!!

Luckily, my framework is 100% raw Monkey. No added extras. I worked extra hard because I saw that coming!!
My framework currently compiles nicely on my PC running v66b, whilst simultaneously using all-new GameCenter features that Mark implemented in v67b, when compiling on the Mac which is currently running v67e.
Mark's now up to v68!! I've yet to try it..

If you work with just the language itself, it's a doddle to upgrade.
..mind your language!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 07 Mar 2013, 05:21
Dabz
Maybe i worded it wrong, but, in not knocking monkey "as a language", the language itself is top notch, and ice always said what Mark does is golden, and if i achieve 1/8th of his success as a programmer, then id die a content man.

But, it would be nice if, say, they had a version that was recommended to use, because everything in has been tested, it works as it should and you can safely use that till the next one.

It may be me, but i cannot understand the "grazing" approach to updates, especially when things like simple outputting of text borks, and its released in the wild!

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Thu, 07 Mar 2013, 08:36
9572AD
a) the minor revisions are not often released as "finished", but generally remain in the "use at your own risk" section, unless there are important bugfixes to a previously released "finished" version. Version 67 was never officially released at all until version 68 was.

b) Mark S is theoretically mulling over a better system for modules to keep everything from going titsup each revision, though it was expected to be testing in the current version and is not in yet

-=-=-
All the raw, animal magnetism of a rutabaga.
Thu, 07 Mar 2013, 09:22
Dabz

the minor revisions are not often released as "finished", but generally remain in the "use at your own risk" section, unless there are important bugfixes to a previously released "finished" version. Version 67 was never officially released at all until version 68 was.

Still makes no sense to me!

Especially when I read this:-

V68 is now up, while V67f has been promoted from 'experimental' to 'usable'.

So, V68 is the experimental, and V67f is the usable, or V68 is also usable, or was until V68b came along, because stuff was broke in the original V68 and going off the thread, you'll be better off waiting for V68c?

Is that right... I dunno... I just cannot get my head around it... And thats the problem!

Mark S is theoretically mulling over a better system for modules to keep everything from going titsup each revision, though it was expected to be testing in the current version and is not in yet

Would be handy if he went back to SVN and you could just checkout the newest revisions of the modules, that would save a faff!

Dabz

-=-=-
Thu, 07 Mar 2013, 09:34
Jayenkai
Works for me!
67's stable, 68's a bit dodgy!
If it helps, at all, SpikeDislike2 and C3ntioong are both 67e, and both have gotten through AppleReview, so .. I guess it's stable-enough!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 07 Mar 2013, 09:40
rockford
both have gotten through AppleReview

MicroQuest 2 also got through AppleReview...
Thu, 07 Mar 2013, 09:41
Dabz

Works for me!
67's stable, 68's a bit dodgy!

Right... So... The higher the alpha value, the more stable the version... And you only know it's the most stable revision of that version when the version number increments by one... Rinse and repeat!

That makes more sense when described like that!

I'll sleep tonight now!

Dabz

-=-=-
Thu, 07 Mar 2013, 09:51
Dabz
Thinking about it... I may use that system myself... ITS A UPDATE VERSIONS REVELATION!!! hehehe

Dabz

-=-=-
Thu, 07 Mar 2013, 10:13
Jayenkai
Beats having multiple decimals... God, I hate that!! V1.0.01.3456.54 WTF!!?

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''