-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|702|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Jay gets a Wii U

Thu, 10 Apr 2014, 07:22
Jayenkai
...so...um.. I got a WiiU...
Thu, 10 Apr 2014, 07:22
steve_ancell
My nephew Dan has one of those, he even uses it as a TV remote as far as I know.
Thu, 10 Apr 2014, 08:06
Jayenkai

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 10 Apr 2014, 09:08
cyangames
Been thinking about getting one of those for a while, NintendoLand and 3D World are the main reason, well, Mario Kart 8 is on the list too, not interested in the Xbox one or ps4 myself, the Ouya does most of that already and I don't particularly want to let my 4year old loose on the other next gen systems.

Let me know how Nintendo land is, watched some game grumps videos of it in action when it came out, looks fab!

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Thu, 10 Apr 2014, 09:19
Jayenkai

Turned up, but will have to wait until tomorrow. TV is untouchable after 2:30.. Bloody families. Grrr....

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 10 Apr 2014, 09:27
spinal
Don't need your tv for a lot of games, will for nintendoland though it's mostly multiplayer.

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Thu, 10 Apr 2014, 09:36
Jayenkai
Yeah, figured I oughta get the full HD experience for Mario, too

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 10 Apr 2014, 14:08
rockford
NintendoLand is a really under-appreciated classic. It really is a cracking game and some of the mini-games really show what the WiiU can do and why the screen is useful (hint, play Yoshi's game - totally ace). As a big fan of Pikmin I also loved the brief Pikmin game in NintendoLand, but I actually spent more time playing the Pachinko/Peggle type game. There really isn't a bad game in the whole collection. And there are plenty of single player games on it too.

And Jay, LEGO City is fecking ace! I completed that 100% - it's a genuinely funny, laugh out loud game. Loading times are a bitch though.
Thu, 10 Apr 2014, 15:48
dna
I lad you gave a description of what it takes to setup the thing.
Gone are the days when you just open the box, plug it in, connect it to the monitor and pop the cartridge into the thing and begin playing.

Waiting an hour for the update is ridiculous.

-=-=-
DNA
Thu, 10 Apr 2014, 16:24
rockford
You do know that you can actually update in the background now?

You couldn't when I got my machine, but you can now.

But yes, it did take a fuckload of time.
Thu, 10 Apr 2014, 16:34
Jayenkai
To be fair, it was indeed "in the background", as I left it to do the updates whilst I carried on coding Blockman

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 11 Apr 2014, 04:14
Jayenkai
Played about an hour's worth of NintendoLand, this morning.
Enjoyable, but .. I dunno, I was expecting more of a bunch of shorter games, I think! I might have to buy that NES Remix thing.. is that any good?! *shrugs*

Also, downloaded the Sonic Lost World demo from the eShop, and had exactly the experience I expected. .. My lack of balance, and motion sickness is incompatible with 3D Sonic games! Glad I didn't buy that, now!

Later, I'll give Mario 3D World a go, and .. hopefully I don't have the same issue.. hmmm...

Meanwhile, back to coding!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 11 Apr 2014, 08:41
Jayenkai
Played the first level of Mario 3D World.
Felt like Mario 3D Land.

I sure hope this gets better..

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 11 Apr 2014, 11:41
Jayenkai
I've finally figured out what it is about NintendoLand that's been annoying me, somewhat..

.... Pretty much all of the games leaves me thinking, not "wow, only a Wii U could do this!!", but instead, "this would be nice on iOS...."

.... Hmmm....

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 11 Apr 2014, 18:38
therevillsgames
So looking forward to Mario Kart 8, looks awesome!

Best games I've played on the Wii U:
* Mario 3D World
* Rayman Legends
* ZombiU
* Donkey Kong (buts its very hard!)
* Lego City
Sat, 12 Apr 2014, 03:30
rockford
Pikmin 3
LEGO City
DarkSiders II
NintendoLand (especially the Pikmin game)

are my personal faves.

I'm a real sucker for Pikmin. I pretty much got the WiiU for Pikmin and Zelda (which is going to be shown at E3 according to Nintendo). Anything else is a bonus.

My son is really looking forward to Smash Bros, a "game" I just find unplayable. It's a button bashing brawler that looks and sounds great but leaves me stone cold.

Sat, 12 Apr 2014, 04:41
spinal
How does lego city play? I've played other lego games in the pas, but gave up quite quickly. I liked the cut scenes but couldn't really get into the games much.

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Sat, 12 Apr 2014, 05:05
Jayenkai
Haven't got around to it, yet.. Later today, if I find the time.. Blockman's a stupidly large game!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 12 Apr 2014, 05:09
rockford
LEGO City is less linear than the other games - you don;t have to play through the story in quite the same way and the world is pretty much one huge open level.

It's easier to lose track of things as a result, but it's also not restrained by any licenses and the humour flows throughout.

It is quite repetitive though - you'll be making the same things or doing the same actions multiple times throughout the game and the car & criminal chases can be incredibly dull - especially as most of the car chases are quite long and lead you well away from the area you wanted to be in.

It also misses a big trick with the story later on in the game with two of the main characters; they both utter a specific phrase, which I would have tied them together. Maybe in LEGO City 2?

If you tired of the other LEGO games, there's probably nothing to keep you playing here, but I loved the others so loved this too. The weakest LEGO game fro me was Marvel (which I've also got on WiiU). That's easily the worst LEGO game IMHO. Tedious and full of characters I really don't care about and buggy as hell. That's one thing - ALL the LEGO games are stuffed full of bugs.
Sat, 12 Apr 2014, 07:55
Jayenkai
Bloody 'ell, you weren't kidding about the loading times.. Wtf is it loading!!!?

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 12 Apr 2014, 08:44
rockford
Yeah, they're horrendous aren't they.

It beats me why they load up a real-time, in-game animation of what amounts to a video for the start of LEGO City. They could and should have just played a vid and slapped the options screen on top, greatly reducing load-times.

It's really quite bizarre exactly why they are so long. LEGO MARVEL is just as bad. Is the WiiU drive just VERY slow?
Sat, 12 Apr 2014, 09:00
Jayenkai
I can't imagine it's that slow, since all the other games I've played have plodded along with barely a loading bar in sight.. Sure, Wii fit takes a while to get going, but ... Not that long!!!!

Bought NES Remix. It's a nice little game. Probably the most fun I've had on the console, so far!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 12 Apr 2014, 09:15
rockford
I know the drive isn't that slow - I've got six or seven other WiiU games that are all pretty nippy.
Sat, 12 Apr 2014, 21:53
therevillsgames
Ah yes, I had totally forgot about the load time for Lego... but once it has loaded most of the city is open and doesn't have to load again.
Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 08:14
Jayenkai
Been getting into Mario 3D World, but much like 3D Land, it's still just a 2D game wrapped in a 3D engine. It doesn't feel as grand and "3D" as Mario 64 did.

Maybe that's rose tinted, but ... I dunno... That game always felt like it made great use of the 3d landscape.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''