-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|681|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> On Topic -> What's your project worth?

Fri, 01 Aug 2014, 04:31
Afr0
Project Dollhouse represents almost 5 million dollars worth of free labor so far.

What's your project worth?

-=-=-
Afr0 Games

Project Dollhouse on Github - Please fork!
Fri, 01 Aug 2014, 05:38
Jayenkai
Have written a program to do a complete scan of my HDD and tot up all my art, sfx, music and sourcecode assets, (including linecount!) but am currently running a complete backup, so.. You'll have to wait a bit!

I'll be with you shortly!! (Might take a good couple of hours.. there's a lot to backup)

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 01 Aug 2014, 06:58
rockford
How do you begin to calculate that? It's impossible to know how many hours you actually put into a project - when I'm coding, time flies. What to me seems like 2 minutes to my family and everyone else is actually two hours. Same for graphics. What about research work - time where you are busy on the project, but not actually contributing physically to it?

You also can't judge costs based on code size.

I don't record how long each element takes and then what do you multiply that with - your current wage per hour, the minimum wage, the living wage, the average for a programmer?

How could you have put in 89 man-person hours when you are actually younger than that? (I am presuming that you are doing this by yourself, of course)

It really is impossible to caluculate how much any project costs us, as we might work on it for one hour today, but 24 the next (if you know what I mean) - there is no 9-5 in what we do.

Fri, 01 Aug 2014, 07:10
Afr0
rockford: OpenHub uses COCOMO.

-=-=-
Afr0 Games

Fri, 01 Aug 2014, 07:49
Jayenkai

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 01 Aug 2014, 09:22
Afr0
4,5 million USD - almost as much as Project Dollhouse!
Impressive!

-=-=-
Afr0 Games

Tue, 02 Sep 2014, 14:25
Afr0
How could you have put in 89 man-person hours when you are actually younger than that? (I am presuming that you are doing this by yourself, of course)

To be completely honest, I didn't have time to study how COCOMO works.
But Github provides a nice overview of contributions.
Interestingly, two of the main contributors, one of them being me, have deleted over half as many lines as we've committed. I dunno if that says more about the project or about us...

-=-=-
Afr0 Games

Tue, 02 Sep 2014, 15:49
rockford
Yeah, I think we're all the same - we put in code that works (or doesn't!), then trim it back and optimise it until it works better. The final code may be half as long as the original, but it's taken twice (or generally more) as long to get to that point.

Sometimes it's not about what and how much you've put in, but what you then take out.

Also testing is a major part of coding. Even the simplest of apps will take more time to test than actually to code. Then there's the cost and time of medica creation, implmentation and testing on top.
Fri, 05 Sep 2014, 16:32
Stealth
I say $0.

No cashflow = $0 value.
Fri, 05 Sep 2014, 17:11
dna
I agree with you stealth.

Especially with the hyperinflation that goes on sometimes

-=-=-
DNA