-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|461|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> On Topic -> Learning With Daleks

Mon, 20 Oct 2014, 08:14
Jayenkai
Seems that the BBC have decided to use children's love of Doctor Who to try to teach coding to kids.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/In-conversation-with-Ralph-Rivera-and-Danny-Cohen

You basically guide the dalek through the levels, but need to "hack" it to give it new abilities and things. A nice idea.
Hopefully it takes off.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 23 Oct 2014, 14:10
cyangames
Anything that encourages kids to code is a good thing in my book, I was so glad to hear that it's part of the curriculum now, wander what they'll do exactly to teach it, in as simple a concept a 5 year old can understand.

Need to check with Tristons teacher at the next parents teachers meeting methinks.

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Thu, 23 Oct 2014, 16:54
rockford
Coding was on the books 30 years ago. Most schools had computer labs filled with various 8bit machines of the day. So what happened?

I've mentioned before that my secondary school had a lab with about 30 BBC Bs in. But not a single teacher was able to teach the kids how to use them, so nobody did for the whole 5 years or so that I was there.

I doubt the situation will be any different nowadays, although I hope that it is more than just words or a waste of taxpayers money.
Thu, 23 Oct 2014, 17:17
cyangames
As a very much self-taught programmer, I wish I'd been given lessons in secondary school in particular. Y'know, as opposed to the boring stuff of using Word / Excel.

Admittedly the database bits were a bit useful but I think the closest we got to coding was a couple of lessons in LOGO.

Not sure if that was the name of it but you commanded a little turtle, it's been a while eh

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Fri, 24 Oct 2014, 05:20
Jayenkai
The version that came with the Amstrad CPC, was on the CP/M disks, and was created by Digital Research. As such, I grew up calling it "Doctor Logo!" because DRLogo was how it was presented..

... I was probably about 14/15 before I realised I'd gotten it wrong all those years..

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 24 Oct 2014, 05:33
steve_ancell
I played DW and the Dalek on BBC earlier, didn't push my buttons too well.

www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/games/doctor-who-game
Fri, 24 Oct 2014, 06:07
steve_ancell
You also can't save your progress if you're an adult, it states that the page expired for security reasons and tells you to sign out. It's a bit like being told to fuck-off but in a softer worded way. LOL