-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|452|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> On Topic -> Willpower

Mon, 20 Oct 2014, 10:53
Jayenkai

Over at CreativeLive.com, Maneesh Sethi discusses ways to keep your willpower working. I've been tuning in and out, but caught an interesting theory.. linkage - Live stream
The more repetitive, and planned out your morning is, the more capable your mind will be in the evening. Maneesh suggests that the more thinking and decision making you do in the morning, the worse you get throughout the day.

Not sure if I agree with that, if I'm honest. I find that most of my coding takes place towards the end of the day, no matter how much gubbins I've been doing/thinking/deciding throughout the day.

*shrugs*

What are your thought?

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 21 Oct 2014, 03:21
Dabz
I havei have trouble trying to stop smoking, so on that front, I have pretty low on will power, but I sharp make up for it in stubbornness... I can be like a huffy elephant!

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Tue, 21 Oct 2014, 05:13
rockford
If I'm not working or too knackered as a result of working I find that mornings and evening/night are best for my coding - the afternoon is either too full of interruptions or busy doing other things that need doing, so my mind is on them.

My willpower is pretty good when it comes to game-making - while I do have ideas for other games while coding, I tend to finish most of my games before moving on to the next.
Tue, 21 Oct 2014, 06:22
steve_ancell
Dabz I havei have trouble trying to stop smoking

Fifteen years ago I had no choice, you'll be surprised how much willpower someone can conjure up when they're coughing up blood.
Tue, 21 Oct 2014, 13:48
steve_ancell
Still have breathing problems, but nowhere near as painful as when I smoked.
Thu, 23 Oct 2014, 14:00
cyangames
I'd suggest that if you're doing a lot of something at the start of the day, you're probably not going to want to do it even more in the evening. At least not without a change of scenery and a break in-between times to rest your head.

Re: Smoking, yeah, that's a flipper, started at uni in 2001 when I was out drinking, stopped it a few years ago now though. Probably aorund late 2008.

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Thu, 23 Oct 2014, 15:01
Dabz
I like a ciggie... I know they aren't good for me, and I should stop, but... I like a ciggie!

The anti-willpower in me rules at the moment... And if I can be truely honest without getting badgered... It would probably take me a scare to ditch them... I'm pretty crap really!

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Thu, 23 Oct 2014, 17:18
cyangames
Have you given vaping a go Dabz? It's meant to be a bit less bad for you, plus flavours

-=-=-
Thu, 23 Oct 2014, 19:26
steve_ancell
Does anyone else here agree that vaping is basically the 21st century version of pipe smoking?, go get your slippers and smoking jacket peeps. LMAO!
Fri, 24 Oct 2014, 02:13
steve_ancell
There is one big flaw in vaping, those things are not cheap. Mr or Miss coming-of-age, maybe never smoked in their life, takes to the vaping culture. One day a vaping student is low on cash and therefore buys a cheap pack of fags to get a dose of nicotine in order to tide themselve's over until next payday.

Worrying thought don't you agree!?.
Fri, 24 Oct 2014, 06:53
cyangames
Oh yeah, it looks a lot like pipe smoking from what I've seen around here tbh. Seems to have cropped up a few physical stores in the bay even. Crazy eh?

-=-=-