-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|703|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Car MOTs

Wed, 27 May 2015, 11:35
zzoom
Was jogging home to the sounds of INXS after dropping the bike off for an MOT

-=-=-
Happy coding!
Wed, 27 May 2015, 11:35
steve_ancell
MOT, that's the time of year when panic sets in. And even worse my car insurance is always due a few days after the MOT, thank fuck mine is out of the way for the rest of the year.
Wed, 27 May 2015, 15:43
therevillsgames
In Oz, there is no MOT... not sure if that is a good thing or not, due some of the bombs I've seen on the roads!
Wed, 27 May 2015, 18:10
steve_ancell
An MOT is technically not worth a wank once the car has left the test station anyway, anything can break at any time in the realm of motoring.
Wed, 27 May 2015, 21:44
rockford
An MOT is not a guarantee that the car won't break down. It's just a snapshot of the worthiness (includine safety) of the vehicle to be on the road.

Things like tyres and brakes are pretty good things to check out every year - and lets face it most of us don't check these properly or regularly. Emissions, not so much (ie it's bollocks).

Cars failing for wiper blades being worn is shit though. Faulty lights - I had a pair of rear brake lights fail recently without knowing; thankfully a neighbour told me and I was able to replace them myself.

So, yeah, I'm happy to have a MOT on my car yearly, as to me the car is just a tool to get from A to B - I don't worship it, or spend time with it unless I'm driving. Most of the time it's ignored completely.
Wed, 27 May 2015, 22:17
steve_ancell
I feel the same way about emissions testing, it's all just a load of cobbler's.

When I say anything can break, I mean stuff like a wheel bearings, suspension stuts, lower arms/ball-joints, tie-rod ends, steering-rack etc... All that kind of stuff can fail at any time, for example: On last year's MOT I had an advisory of slight clicking on a lower ball-joint, I thought I could get away for a couple of weeks before changing it but it broke two days later. Good thing it happend as I was coming off the driveway, at 20MPH or more that could have killed me and anyone nearby.

Bottom line is never trust an MOT, and regularly check major parts for wear and tear yourself.
Wed, 27 May 2015, 22:20
steve_ancell
The timing belt on my car is also due a change in about 6000 miles from now, and I'm not looking forward to it. I really hate doing those.
Thu, 28 May 2015, 02:04
Jayenkai
Fook!
Thu, 28 May 2015, 13:27
steve_ancell
I had a rear coil break on a Corsa I had about 7 years ago, two end windings came off. Funny enough though that was picked up in the MOT and I didn't even notice, that's what I mean by MOTs not being what they're cracked up to be as that happend anytime after the MOT previous to that one.

I now usually check stuff about every couple of months.