-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|701|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Server Fuckup

Page : 1 2 Next
Prev
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 01:18
Jayenkai
It's half-working.. That'll have to do.. No complaining, people..

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 01:18
Jayenkai
God fucking damnit..
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 01:21
Jayenkai
I've had to cobble together some old bits and pieces, so you'll notice issues everywhere.
BACKUP!!!
And, Backup more than once, too!

I thought I could rely on GoDaddy's "PAY FOR THIS" Backup service, which backs up everything daily, for 7 days..
But holy fucking shit, getting them to RESTORE the backup has taken over 12 hours, so far, and I'm still fucking waiting..

ARSEHOLES..

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 01:40
Jayenkai
RAWR!!
---
I'm probably better off just waiting for GoDaddy to do their restore, but .. Seriously getting pissed off, here..

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 01:55
Jayenkai
Alright, here's roughly what happened.
I was playing with LeftRight.php yesterday to fix a slight quirk, but it didn't result in anything fruitful so I gave up halfway.
The ONLY thing I changed was a str_replace, so I'm about 95% sure that what I was doing was NOT the cause of all this!!!

I left things and came back an hour or so later to find the site was down.
The server is doing VERY strange things, and acting as if the hard drive is full, which is definitely isn't. It's complaining about every little upload, and basically freaking the fuck out.
This is NOT something that my Str_Replace could've done! I'm absolutely certain of that.
I rebooted the server, and have since asked GoDaddy to restore a backup, but fucking hours later I'm still bloody waiting for them to get around to it.

What the fuck is the point of paying for a daily backup service, when they don't bloody well restore it anywhere near quickly enough for that to be any fucking use whatsoever.

Once this is all fully back to the way it oughta be, I'll be doing a mountain of stuff to ensure I'm double-backing everything myself. Stupid fucking GoDaddy.. Grrr...

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 01:57
Jayenkai
Oh, and the shoutbox isn't working, now, either. FFS!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 02:00
steve_ancell
I would normally call it a server fart. This ain't no fart, this time it followed through.
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 02:49
spinal
... Godaddy are probably making daily backups regardless and only charge you for the ability to uses those backups.

You should backup your files offline yourself, especially if you're editing them live (which you shouldn't really do

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 02:58
Jayenkai
I know.. I know.. But this feels bigger than something I've done.

The server is literally clogging itself up. If I try uploading something, it acts like the drive's full, which I know it isn't.. We're using 17Gb of the 320 available!!!
I've ran a virus scan and it's not finding anything, so I'm hoping the backup-restore can sort it.
..Just.. Fucking.. Waiting.. GAH!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 03:04
Dabz
It's all go!

Dabz
---
It's all go!

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 03:05
Jayenkai
Indeed..
Indeed..... :/
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 04:53
cyangames
Just my 2 pence on Hostgator.

They are no better than goDaddy and charged ~£10 for restoring backups which was no good. Don't move to them if you can avoid it.

Glad to see the forums are back here Jay hope the weekend is a tad more relaxing for you

I'd recommend United hosting which are great, but they are expensive by comparison.

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 06:32
rockford
Glad SoCoder is back - whether it's completely fixed or not.
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 07:05
Jayenkai
24 hours.. Ffs, how long does it take.
FWIW, a "complete server backup" does NOT include the SQL.. What the hell kind of shitty "complete" is that supposed to be!?
*sigh*

Still waitin' sorry folks.
But at least we can kind-of interact!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 11:07
Dabz
No sql in the backup service... That's terrible!!!

Can you run cron jobs through c-panel, if so, I'd probably set sql backups using that, as well as get it to email you the dumped file!

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 11:09
Dabz
Starter for 10:-

www.maketecheasier.com/schedule-database-backup-using-cron-job/

Dabz

-=-=-
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 12:40
Jayenkai
Yeah, I set up my own SQL backups at the beginning. Just kinda expected that, without complicated things like SQL, that the backup restore might very well have been a teensy tiny bit fucking quicker, ffs...

Should've from-backed the entire fecking server.. GAWD......

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 03 Jul 2015, 14:39
cyangames
I remember writing my own backup routines back in the hostgator days, they only made weekly backups then, horrible, horrible quality service.

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Sat, 04 Jul 2015, 01:37
Jayenkai
Server's still fucked up.

I've also realised it's July 4th Weekend..
... FFS..

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 04 Jul 2015, 05:24
Jayenkai
Paraphrased.. "It's definitely not due to July 4th, we have around the clock support even during holidays. It usually takes a couple of days."

A COUPLE of days?! What the hell am I paying them extra, for!?!
FFS..

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 04 Jul 2015, 05:47
Jayenkai
A number of holes have been plugged. Nothing that I think might've caused all this, but definitely stuff that needed fixing.
I also (thanks to some guidence from GoDaddy) managed to track down the server's file-space "quirk", and that now seems to be settling down.
Again, though, I need to wait for the backup to get uploaded before I can say for sure that all this has been sorted.

I'm keeping track of all tweaks, though, so it should be just a case of "redo-all-the-tweaks" in order to fix it.

.. AND A FUCKING TRIPLE-BACKUP, TOO!!! (Mac, Laptop and NAS drive will all have to be resync'd..)

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 04 Jul 2015, 07:50
Dabz
Here's a bug for ya...

I'm currently on EE for my mobile phone, I get 5 gig a month data and not once have I used it all... So this morning I got a "you've used 80% of your data etc etc" sms message, never thought much of it, then just now another sms came through saying I've used all my data and thus need an addon... I was like "eh?", went to browse and voila, directed to the add on page!

I decided to see what my allowance was, so rang 150, couldn't find the data bit in the million menus, so went on the wifi and logged into my account and though and behold... Plenty left, so I went back on mobile internet and thou and behold... Everything was tickety boo!!!

Cheeky bastards, I probably wouldn't of checked but it was all a bit suss, pleased I did because they would've wangled a few quid off me on the sly!

Gonna have to watch that!

Dabz

-=-=-
Sat, 04 Jul 2015, 08:19
Jayenkai
Sounds dodgy!!
Everyone out to rip us off, lately...

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 04 Jul 2015, 10:42
Jayenkai
.... Tum-tee-Tum.....
Sat, 04 Jul 2015, 14:20
HoboBen
The quota they give you is probably different than the *actual* disk space which is usually oversold and can fill up!

Ahhh what a headache for you though!

-=-=-
blog | work | code | more code
Page : 1 2 Next
Prev