-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|678|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Retro Stuff -> Ohh Gameboy Dev, nyom nyom!

Page : 1 2 Next
Prev
Thu, 20 Aug 2015, 02:10
cyangames
That is a lot of fun!

Felt inspired from ym brothers game for the recent gameboy jam so I've started off on my hourney into gameboy classic development in C, not assembly, that is a bit too hardcore for me!

So far I have input, a scrolling background, and a couple of sprites!

Might try to make a version of your lovely Spike Dislike game on it for training myself up if that's okay Jay?

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Thu, 20 Aug 2015, 04:13
Jayenkai
If you can, maybe, but my findings on doing it on Pebble are that it doesn't really work too well when scrunched into a squarer resolution..
There's not enough "look ahead" to enjoy it properly. Your alternative is to scale it all down, and then tiny-spikes are difficult to see, especially on a Gameboy where you have to deal with screen-blur, too!

The original('ish) PlayMyCode edition uses much larger sprites, but I'm not sure you could cope with those on the GB.. ?!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 20 Aug 2015, 04:51
cyangames
The GB looks like it can cope with larger sprites fairly well, I'll post a rom when I have something more game-like working over here, looking into the sound registers tonight

You're right about that screen blur though, I'll need to grab a flash cart of sorts to see that in action properly though!

-=-=-
Thu, 20 Aug 2015, 12:33
spinal
I remember doing a little GB dev quite a few years ago, wasn't half bad.

TheGame_gb.zip

Unfortunately thats the only thing I have left, no source code, not even the next version where I added colour support. Thats what I get for never backing anything up.

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Thu, 20 Aug 2015, 14:09
cyangames
That's pretty cool there spinal, made it to level 5 on the third try

-=-=-
Thu, 20 Aug 2015, 17:34
cyangames
Managed to get the ball bouncing and stuff tonight but the damned thing isn't paying any attention to my collision detection half of the time... Hmmm

-=-=-
Tue, 25 Aug 2015, 16:44
cyangames
Turns out the gameboy just didn't like circle to circle collision routines! Gahhh! Fell back to rectangles and had a play with the sound registers, it sort of works!

-=-=-
Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 02:33
Jayenkai
FWIW : I've only ever used square to square in SpikeDislike!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 03:37
steve_ancell
Squareness is good for fast-paced games, I would only use pixel-perfect or roundness if it were slower moving.
Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 04:15
steve_ancell
In my shoot 'em up for instance, I plan to use multiple rectangular tests (shown in light green) to mimic near to perfect collisions. The example below would involve checking just 9 boxes rather than worrying about testing craploads of pixels or roundness.

|edit| And yes!, I'm aware that I could do it with a lot less rectangles. This is just showing a theory. |edit|
Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 04:18
cyangames
Aye, I've never implemented any pixel perfect routines myself, just circle to circle and rectangles and, well, unity handles everything collision-wise pretty much

Looks like I'm going to need to write myself up a tool to compose music with if I want to make anything that sounds okay!

I was hoping circle to circle, (squared distance) would be faster but, turns out the gameboy didn't like it much!

Rectangle to rectangle is fine though, I'll just reduce the hit box by a pixel on either side to allow for near-misses a bit more.

Will keep ya updated

-=-=-
Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 04:25
steve_ancell
It is weird that the Gameboy don't like dealing with radial detection, I would have thought raw math would be a doddle for any 16 bit processor.
Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 05:14
Jayenkai
Gameboy's very much 8bit. A good old Z80 chip, just like the Speccy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zilog_Z80

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 05:22
cyangames
I was suspecting some sort of overflow error of sorts also but, meh, for whatever reason, it just wasn't working, rect collision is fine though

Not going to delve into assembly though if I can avoid it!

-=-=-
Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 05:47
steve_ancell
Being the 90's I always thought it was 16 bit, I take it you're referring to the original non-colour version?
Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 05:50
steve_ancell
I just read the wiki for GB Colour, and fuck me that has 8-bit too. Quite impressive for 8-bit.
Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 05:56
cyangames
Yup, just the standard GB for the moment
Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 17:19
cyangames
Okay, so here's how far I've got with the gameboy. I've removed the sfx for the moment.

Test Port of Jays Lovely Spike Dislike on GB

-=-=-
Thu, 27 Aug 2015, 03:41
Jayenkai
Yeay!
Could do with a "dead!" few frames.. A slight delay after you crash.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 27 Aug 2015, 03:49
cyangames
Aye, hoping to add the combo system 'n' stuff in tonight to it. I rather worryingly ran out of rom space last night so cleared out a whole bunch of memory I didn't really need and everything seems cool again

32kb isn't too much to play with eh?

I do have a fair number of unused sprite frames if I need to tighten things up though, so it should be fine

-=-=-
Thu, 27 Aug 2015, 12:11
spinal
Are there not compiler option for different rom sizes? Also, don't CONST'd variables store in rom rather than ram?

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Thu, 27 Aug 2015, 15:39
cyangames
I'm not sure, I haven't played with compiler options or anything like that yet. Although, I've managed to remove a bunch of unused sprite frames, re-jig the maps accordingly and it's starting to look a little more dislikey!

High score now works, there's a combo timer and a lil bit of noise going on. Looks like I have a little bit of ROM space left. Not sure how to do RAM bits 'n' bobs though, will investigate!

GB Dislike

-=-=-
Thu, 27 Aug 2015, 17:04
cyangames
Hey Spinal!

I just tried consting my tileset and, yeah, looks like it loaded it up into RAM instead, which is awesome! 4-8k of data back perhaps! Nyom nyom nyom. Might try making something else this week!

Ahh, maybe not, according to my bro, it's probably just resulted in gbdk storing it as data and not a bunch of commands, that makes more sense, also...d'oh!

-=-=-
Thu, 27 Aug 2015, 23:00
spinal
OH well, I could have swore it did that.
Sat, 29 Aug 2015, 01:26
cyangames
Figured I'd treat myself to a gameboy pocket from ebay last night and a flash card, only to discover later on that, despite both orders going through paypal, the flash cart is now on it's way to the wrong address but the gameboy itself is coming to the correct one....Gahhhh!

Time to see if I can contact people living at the old address and ask them to kindly forward the package on to me.

-=-=-
Sat, 29 Aug 2015, 01:27
Jayenkai
D'oh!
Page : 1 2 Next
Prev