-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|461|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Manga Studio

Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 04:28
GfK
Any of you rotten lot tried Manga Studio 5 for drawing?
Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 04:29
Jayenkai
I gave up trying to draw things on the PC once I got my iPad!
Having a nice big touch-device is a wonderful thing.

People kept suggesting I get a "tablet" (as in the peripheral for PC without a screen) and I'd considered it a few times, but I never bothered to try one.
Once I got my iPad, it was sort of a "Oh, I see, this IS better than a mouse!" kind of realisation.

I'm still no wonder-artist, but I can plot pixels in a much more precise manner, nowadays

As for software, I've stuck to PaintshopPro for well over a decade. I see no need to change, now, although lately I've been tempted to get something Animation-based.
No idea what that would be, though, and at the end of the day, I'd just end up with moving pixels which I can easily do using a bit of coding wizardry!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 05:05
GfK
I have a Wacom but I hardly ever use it as I find the 'detachment' between the screen and the pen confusing.

Considered the iPad/iPencil route but it's a damn expensive solution and I don't know how good (or not) a solution it would even be.
Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 05:21
Jayenkai
Nah, you can do it on the cheap.
Even an el-cheapo Android tablet would be good for the purpose. The tricky part is finding a good app to work smoothly, and work with your drawing style.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 06:39
GfK
I don't understand. For serious artwork don't you really need something of the pressure-sensitive variety? Also... I don't fancy paying for an iPencil/iPad Pro or doodling with my finger-end, so what else is out there?
Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 06:55
Jayenkai
Having a stylus, and pressure sensitivity, and all that jazz.. That's another level, and I'm nowhere near that level!

You'd be surprised what tools are available on iOS, which do fake pressure based on a number of parameters. They exist, but I'm shit at using them!!

Like I say, though, it's not only iOS. A cheap android tablet will probably be more than enough, and decent coders will know how to make powerful apps.
As much as it pains me to say it, one of my favourite "artsy" app's is a *shudder* Adobe one...
Adobe Draw does lovely looking vector based stuff, and you can zoom in and out to do details and whatnot.
Not very good for gradients, though, I tnt I need to find something with those built in.

It's all about finding the right apps. Whether it be on PC or not, you need to get settled into the style of an art package before you can improve.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 11:23
cyangames
You can pickup a smaller sized bamboo for ~£15, those offer pressure sensitivity.

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 12:10
GfK
Already got one! Just don't like the pen moving about on the table, and what it's drawing coming up somewhere else (i.e. on a monitor).
Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 16:38
steve_ancell
GfK I have a Wacom but I hardly ever use it

Same here.
Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 16:46
therevillsgames
GfK I have a Wacom but I hardly ever use it

Same here.

I'm another one... hate drawing on it and looking at the screen.

@Gfk - why are you looking at Manga Studio in the first place?
Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 22:34
Dabz
I have a Wacom Bamboo fineline stylus for my ipad... I can draw absolutely fine with a pencil, so thought I'd have a go with one of those, you know, digi it up a bit!

And nah... Cannot get away with it, the nib off centres with the drawing at the slightest of over/under angling, this makes it hard to be precise, and as such, to keep it spot on it gets really uncomfy as usually you let your wrist do most of the work when drawing, but with that, you have to move your whole bloody arm to keep the pen right!

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Fri, 12 Feb 2016, 00:20
cyangames
I guess the only other alternative would be to just sketch it up normally, then scan and enhance it all in photoshop / something else?

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Fri, 12 Feb 2016, 00:21
GfK
I was looking at Manga Studio because I've heard its easier to get along with than Photoshop when using graphics tablets, and gives better/smoother results.

I've been a bit reluctant to get the 30 day trial as I've got so much on, the trial will have ran out before I've had a proper go at it.
Fri, 12 Feb 2016, 09:30
Dabz
Personally, I think it's about time these things were past the point now where they do reflect drawing on paper, the feel and everything!

I've had a wacom tablet thingy in the past, years ago in fact, and, the tech pretty much hasnt moved really or is it just me expecting too much?

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Sat, 13 Feb 2016, 14:08
GfK
Finally had a play with the trial version today and got to say, it's bloody good.

You want to draw with a pencil? Click on the pencil. Want chalk? Choose chalk. Watercolour? Oil paint? Charcoal? Marker pen? You get the idea.

It also has a nice feature which smooths out the lines you draw - great if you don't have the steadiest of hands.

For the sake of $48 I think I'll be buying this.
Sun, 14 Feb 2016, 03:51
GfK
This all just got very confusing.

According to the Smith Micro site, Manga Studio 5 and Clip Studio are the same thing - just one is the download version, and one is the boxed version. Fine. Weird... but fine. I get that.

But then I find out that there is a different company selling the same thing - Celsys. This came after googling it and finding lengthy discussions about it on DeviantArt.

The software I've been trialing is Manga Studio 5. If I buy the download version I guess I'll be switching to Clip Studio - same software, different name.

But do I buy from Smith Micro, or from Celsys???
Sun, 14 Feb 2016, 04:11
Jayenkai
Sounds like the old Blitz/Idigicon thing. Try to figure out which one is going to end up paying the developers.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''