-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|394|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Road Marking Removal

Sun, 14 Feb 2016, 12:18
steve_ancell
Idiotic thinktanking from dildo kind, those lop pots also need to realise that white markings also make night time driving more highlighted: Linkage
Sun, 14 Feb 2016, 12:18
GfK
A lot of narrow roads here in south lincs don't have road markings and it's a bloody nightmare.

The statistics speak for themselves: https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2013/03/lincolnshire-tops-uk-road-deaths-statistics/
Sun, 14 Feb 2016, 16:05
Jayenkai
Good thing we aren't in the middle of developing AI car behaviours that rely on road markings...

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 01:34
rockford
Here in MK they are slow to replace white lines and have either turned off numerous streetlights along the dual carriageways or left them off when broken. Not sure if any of this is planned or they council is busy elsewhere...

So we've got 70mph roads with no lights and no lane markings. Driving down some of them at night is fun
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 01:40
Jayenkai
In certain parts of our village, morons speed around the 30mph roads at about 100mph.
There have been plenty of accidents.

Recently, the council have decided to reduce the speed limit in those areas to 20mph.

Yeah, that'll fix it!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 03:14
steve_ancell
Quite a few roads in Brighton are 20MPH.
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 03:14
GfK
Good thing we aren't in the middle of developing AI car behaviours that rely on road markings...
The way some cars tear-arse about with total disregard for the safety of others, I often question whether some cars have a fucking driver in them anyway.

Most notably, white vans, Mercedes, BMWs, Audis and Vauxhalls.
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 03:44
rockford
I don't know if it's due to an influx of foriegn drivers, that passed their tests abroad or learners in this country just aren't being taught the basics, but the standard of driving really seems to have gone down dramatically in the last 10 years.

There's definitely more reckless high-speed driving, more tailgating, less indication (seriously does anyone actually use indicators anymore?), parking on corners and directly on kerbs and opposite athway slopes and disabled spots. It really is shocking how bad some drivers treat other motorists.
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 03:48
steve_ancell
@GfK:

Oi!, I drive a Vauxhall. LMARO!
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 04:00
GfK
Still running well is it, with it's iffy gearbox?
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 04:02
steve_ancell
Yeah, still running. Might get something different in a couple of months though, those extra RPMs due to that gearbox are fucking the engine up big time. It chuggs out quite a lot of smoke when doing above 60MPH.
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 04:07
steve_ancell
I'm still surprised that used parts store sold me the wrong gearbox though, they told me the petrol and Diesel transmissions were the same and the the number 18 stamped on it was just a casing number.

I had a feeling that number 18 had something to do with ratios, the original had 16 on it, but I apparently cannot argue with "the people that know".

After the argy-bargy of fitting it there was no way I was gonna remove it again, so I just said "fuck it" and left it like it.
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 04:16
GfK
Yeah, petrol and diesel gearboxes are massively different. A petrol engine is going idle at 1200rpm and peak at about 7-8k. A diesel idles at about 750rpm and tops out at 4-5k.

Petrol gearbox on a diesel car is going to fuck sommat up. You'll probably be wanting a new engine before long.
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 04:21
steve_ancell
With the original box it did 2500RPM at 70 MPH and it now does 3250 at 70, a very big difference. I've been looking around for a cheap salvage car so I can rob the engine and box from that, but if I can't get one by the end of April then it's time for a different car. I don't think it will pass the MOT emissions this time.
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 04:25
Jayenkai
*tries to read*

Your words and numbers mean nothing to me!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 04:26
GfK
Just done some google and found a forum where they're discussing ratio difference between F18 and F20. I'd guess there would be similar differences between an F16 and F18 and although it might fit on the car, you really shouldn't.

https://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/624065-f20-f18-gear-ratios.html

Ultimately if the F16 and F18 were the same identical part, they wouldn't both exist.
Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 04:37
steve_ancell
Yeah, I found that out on the Astra Owner's Network after I had fitted it, shame Hove Car Spares failed to realise this though.

On the forum I was told that the gearbox I have now is a close-ratio transmission. 1st and 2nd are higher than before, 3rd is the same as before, 4th and 5th are lower hence the over-rev on motorways. The Diesel box's ratios extend further to make it better for pulling away and to preserve torque at higher speeds.

Hopefully I made sense with that explanation, as I'm not very good at explaining things. LOL