-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|675|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Spinal's Search for Tech

Page : 1 2 Next
Prev
Sun, 23 Oct 2016, 10:52
spinal
I don't suppose anyone has spotted somewhere I can get a (very) cheap old style LCD game working or not? I wan't to make a little arduino game thingy using a nokia screen.

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Sun, 23 Oct 2016, 10:52
Jayenkai
Sounds like a car-boot haul might be in order.

Have a hunt on google maps for your nearest British Heart Foundation charity shops.
I recently learned they have larger stores, with all sorts of cool stuff in store.
They also have eBay auctions for some of the stuff, too.

https://stores.ebay.co.uk/British-Heart-Foundation-Shop

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 24 Oct 2016, 02:03
spinal
I got a 'pop station' off ebay, should take about a week to get here. It has enough buttons, speaker of some sort, an on/off switch, look big enough to cram everything inside and even takes 4xAAA batteries, which whould power an arduino no problem. Price <3GBP delivered!

Here is a kid on youtube reviewing one...

View on YouTube

-=-=-
Mon, 24 Oct 2016, 02:44
Jayenkai
You could've very easily posted a video of any number of Ashens' PopStation reviews!

Playlist

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 24 Oct 2016, 02:46
rockford
Yeah, Ashen's LOVES PopStations
Tue, 25 Oct 2016, 14:35
spinal
I couldn't find a Tetris one in the list, did I miss it?

Anyway, does anyone know if there is such a thing as a cheap tft/oled screen with a controller that allows some sort of paletted data to be used? Currently I can only find 1bpp or 16bpp, using an arguing that is going to be a big issue. To go from a simple Nokia screen to having to send 16 times the amount of information to display the same data is insane.

Any ideas?

-=-=-
Wed, 26 Oct 2016, 01:56
steve_ancell
I just found a couple on ebay.

(Linkage!)

(Linkage!)
Wed, 26 Oct 2016, 13:57
spinal
They're both 16/18bit (per pixel), the parallel one might be a bit large, I doubt an arduino nano would have enough ram for an image buffer, I'm looking into the 1.8" screens, again they're 16/18bit so, far too much data to be sent over the slow serial (I really don't want to shell out for a teensy at this point), so it's probably too slow for what I want.

-=-=-
Wed, 26 Oct 2016, 14:19
spinal
OK, popstation arrived, also, monochrome nokia lcd. First version of arduino gameboy thingy coming soon.
It will be based loosely on this thing. minus the bells and whistles, because who needs such things as ambient light based backlight brightness on a homemade game?

Anyway, once that is working and I'm happy that I can put such a thing together, I'll be jumping in feet first and making a 'real'ish one, with colours and everything!

-=-=-
Wed, 26 Oct 2016, 14:45
rockford
Sounds like a plan.

Cracking stuff
Thu, 27 Oct 2016, 02:12
steve_ancell
But isn't the display in that Popstation one of those predefined/game specific segmented ones similar to what was in the Game And Watch back in the day?, I assumed you were after a normal pixelated one.
Thu, 27 Oct 2016, 06:57
spinal
Yup, don't worry, there'll be photos once it's done 😃

-=-=-
Thu, 27 Oct 2016, 08:50
Jayenkai
Video...?
Thu, 27 Oct 2016, 11:40
spinal
That might depend on how well it works.
Thu, 27 Oct 2016, 11:42
Jayenkai
Super excited! Whatever will it be?!
Fri, 28 Oct 2016, 03:30
spinal
First test looked promising, seem to have wired one of the buttons wrong though.

-=-=-
Sun, 30 Oct 2016, 14:03
spinal
First the 'raw' materials, followed by the back...

Then the front, all working and stuff...

You'll have to forgive the electrical tape, Helen's printer is empty, so I couldn't do a nice sticker or anything.

The screen is a bit crap, but then, they don't make new ones, so I'm stuck with one reclaimed from an old nokia phone, yes folks that's what happens to your phones when you sell them to those recycling places.

It looks like though, to do a better one, will take actual money unlike the £20ish that this one cost.

Quick rundown...
Nokia 5110 screen
Arduino Nano
SD card
Pop Station
Games from here - https://gamebuino.com/

-=-=-
Sun, 30 Oct 2016, 15:08
Jayenkai
Crazy!!!
Sat, 05 Nov 2016, 15:17
cyangames
That's so cool Spinal!
Sat, 05 Nov 2016, 15:47
cyangames
That Gamebuino seems pretty cool also! Arghh so many cool things out there!!!

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Sun, 06 Nov 2016, 06:16
spinal
Broke it. I think there was too much pressure on the connections once I crammed it into the case. Re-doing it, can't get the sd card to behave right, randomly doesn't detect, not much use. Maybe I'll buy a real one or maybe an Arduboy, they look a little better.

Jay - have you not thought about getting something like that? I bet a monochrome game a week would be a good challenge!

-=-=-
Sun, 06 Nov 2016, 10:01
Jayenkai
Awww. You broke your SpineBoy

I'm too lazy to code things for specific devices, any more..
Monkey's made me a very lazy developer!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 07 Nov 2016, 11:40
spinal
It's a bit on the small side, it probably looks smaller than it is, although at that resolution, it's likely that a 16mhz avr can get an OK framerate out of it. However, when I was attempting to emulate the nokia screen on my 'large' (320x240) tft screen, only using 84x48rgb, still have terrible frame rate.

My next attempt will be using a 128x64 monochrome oled and the arduino micro that I have sitting here doing nothing.

It would be nice to come up with a 'new' system for us retro coders to play with, but the two main current arduino based systems pretty much cover all of the bases. I think a cross between the arduboy and gamebuino would probably hit the spot, low price, sharp screen, micro/sd card, d-pad+ some buttons.

-=-=-
Mon, 07 Nov 2016, 22:33
steve_ancell
Blimey, the HYDRA's still going then!
Page : 1 2 Next
Prev