-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|675|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Image to Tilemap Converter

Sat, 05 Oct 2013, 05:00
spinal
I know for a fact that there are tools on the web to convert a single huge image into a tileset and map, while detecting unique tiles. However, the internet (or rather Google) doesn’t seem to have a clue what I’m talking about. Anyone here know?

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Sat, 05 Oct 2013, 05:00
Jayenkai
How big is it. Could you possibly make use of the one that comes with PALib?! That one's surprisingly good, coping with mirrored tiles, too..

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 05 Oct 2013, 05:38
spinal
currently about 1024x1024.
would the palib one output the tiles also, didnt it just convert everything to code?

-=-=-
Sat, 05 Oct 2013, 06:35
Erebel55
I'm not sure exactly what features it has since I haven't used it in a while but might want to check out Reiner's Tilecutter.

Here is the link to his apps
www.reinerstilesets.de/programme/

-=-=-
Lava Monkey
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lvm.lavamonkey
Sat, 05 Oct 2013, 06:36
rockford
I posted exactly what you want here a while back (January 05 2012 according to the Uploads section) - socoder.net/uploads/214/maprecon.zip

MapRecon turns any sized map into individual tiles (of your chosen size), creates the map data and gives a Blitz reconstruction program all in the space of about 1 second.
Sat, 05 Oct 2013, 06:56
spinal
That's the exact thing I was looking for. I'm sure I've asked on here or maybe a blitz site a looooooonnnnng time ago!

thanks Rock!

-=-=-
Sat, 05 Oct 2013, 07:19
Jayenkai
*phew* thought I was going to have to start coding one!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 05 Oct 2013, 12:49
dna
If you had made one Jay it would have been a great one.

Useful

-=-=-
DNA
Sat, 05 Oct 2013, 21:03
steve_ancell
I coded a very crude tool for ripping tiles from screen-grabs when I was coding Mutant Monty. Not sure if this source code will suit your needs, you may have to change a few variables.

It loads an image such as "level1.png" (you may need to change the file names or modify the code to suit), then it grabs the first tile (width and height can be changed at lines 27 and 28). It then grabs the second tile and compares it with the first, the the third tile grab is compared with the previous two, and so on and so forth. It does this for the whole image and then loads the next image and compares them with all the previous tiles also. In Laymen's terms it finds unique tiles.

Bear in mind that the program gets slower and slower because of having to keep comparing the current tile with all the previously stored ones, but hey!, it's a lot quicker than cutting them out by hand.

The For/Next loop at line 46 will need to be changed if you only want to rip one screen, I hard coded it to search through all 40 screen-grabbed levels and discard any tiles that match any that are already in memory.