-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|455|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> The New Fiver

Tue, 27 Sep 2016, 04:19
Jayenkai
Finally got hold of one!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 27 Sep 2016, 04:19
Jayenkai
Mini review - from the point of view of a shop worker who knows how to tell!

Feel
It feels very very flat. I was expecting some kind of grain effect, but. Nope. Flat as a pancake.
The front's "bank of england" and "five pounds" is raised, as is the queens face, so there's a little feel under your thumb on the front.. but the back is completely void of any sort of tactile feedback. It's really odd!

Look
Nice and crisp, but how long will that last!!?
The "queen in the plastic" section has a nice negative effect. Hold it to the floor and it seems normal. Hold it to the light and the face becomes negative. Not quite sure how that works, but it's a nice effect.
There's also a couple of holograms. Top one has the crown, bottom one flips between "Five" and "Pounds"

Overall : Nice!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 27 Sep 2016, 04:40
spinal
We've had them coming into the shop for a couple of weeks now, I like 'em.

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Tue, 27 Sep 2016, 04:47
steve_ancell
I've not had one yet but my mate Stuart has, I gave it a bit of an examination, it had a kind of a weird feel to it.
Tue, 27 Sep 2016, 08:26
rockford
They seem a bit too small to me, but I'll gladly accept any that peeps don't want.
Wed, 28 Sep 2016, 14:08
therevillsgames
We've got a new fiver over here too:

https://banknotes.rba.gov.au/australias-banknotes/banknotes-in-circulation/five-dollar/

Looks like ours has a more up to date picture of the queen!

I havent seen one in the wild yet though...

(oh and Aussie money is nearly plastic too! Some kind of polymer)
Wed, 28 Sep 2016, 15:02
Jayenkai
Indeed.. Hamish and Andy had fun with that.
https://traffic.libsyn.com/handa/160901_HA_podcast.mp3

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 01 Oct 2016, 07:28
steve_ancell

View on YouTube
Sat, 01 Oct 2016, 08:08
Jayenkai
Yes, you can slice the plasti-paper!
They're not invulnerable!!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 01 Oct 2016, 09:35
steve_ancell
I was waiting for John to go mad with a blender.
Sun, 02 Oct 2016, 23:57
rockford
Yeah shrapnel (what I call small change) is a right pain in the pocket. You go out with notes or larger change and come back with pockets full of pennies!
Mon, 03 Oct 2016, 03:18
Jayenkai
All those pennies soon add up, tough.
I used to have a tin that I shoved all loose change into, everything up to 20p's.
Was handy when Xmas came round, and we did the "Big ASDA Xmas Food Shop" with nothing but change we'd collected through the year!

As for colour co-ordinated notes.. They make sense! Don't feat the change, Kuron!!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 03 Oct 2016, 06:26
spinal
When I was at school, I used to load up the vending machines with 1p's and 2p's, just put all your pennies in, hit the change button, keep going until it starts giving you pennies back... passed the time.

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Mon, 03 Oct 2016, 07:11
rockford
So we gave him his $300 in pennies (30,000 pennies).

LOL. I bet he loved you!

In the UK you can be sued for trying to pay for anything in coppers (1p & 2p) that costs more than 20 PENCE
Mon, 03 Oct 2016, 10:07
Jayenkai
You know what I've always wondered..
Why do they call them pennies, when they're cents?

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 03 Oct 2016, 10:31
rockford
Yeah, it makes no cents