123
-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|505|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> In-Development -> Dyrt.NET

Posted : Monday, 21 October 2019, 12:40
Tricky

Dyrt.NET




Years ago I released on RPG game called The Secrets of Dyrt. As I created a new RPG engine for my Star Story soon after and came up with a load of better features, I regretted the way I set up the original game. So now I decided to redo that game. Story will be kept the same, at least for most of the game, but better techniques used, most of all in the interface, and some gameplay balancing issues will be covered up. Also this new version uses my Kthura Map System, which is an object based map system, and capable of many neat things, that a normal tile based editor cannot provide.

The girl you see in my (current) avatar, is a playable character in this game. Her name is Seelah Gandra, although she'll rename herself to "Scyndi Scorpio" later in the game. Although she's not the main protagonist she has grown a bit into the position of the game's mascot.

Like the name suggests the new version of the game uses the .NET framework. The engine I set up for it (in C#) is called NALA (NIL and Lua Adventures) and uses Lua as scripting engine, although I also linked the NIL into it.

Here you can see the code grow on GitHub (please forgive me that GitHub cannot syntax Highlight NIL code )
Live DevLog which updates pretty quickly as soon as I did stuff...

The production is still in a very early stage. As a matter of fact I'm now building the combat engine, which is already the hardest part (imho) in the creation of an RPG (at least if you do it from scratch, like me).
Posted : Monday, 21 October 2019, 12:47
Jayenkai
Starting afresh with a new framework in a different language, but with lofty goals, too?
Crikey!

Good luck

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Posted : Tuesday, 29 October 2019, 16:28
Tricky
Since there hasn't been any visual changes to the game since I started this up, there's not much to tell.
I am still working on the combat mechanics which is always the most complex part of my RPG games... Once that works, the rest is actually peanuts.

Now I did set up a class in NIL which will show the player how many damage points have been taken, or how many points healing are done, and stuff like "DEF UP" and so on will also be shown with that. No idea if it works, since I could not yet test it, but I'll show the code the way it looks anyway... All done in NIL....



Due to Lua being the underlying language and due to the simplicity of NIL in general I could not support function overloading (if I could support it, I would, trust me), so the constructor method may look a bit "clunky" as a result. Of course, I must note that this code does rely on underlying APIs my NALA engine provides, and I guess that the files called with "#use" are dependencies... I've set up a builder for my engine that automatically imports those into the game release.

(I do see that the plus sign in my code above has been automatically replaced by *pl*... I don't know why, but there is a plus in the actual code. EDIT: Only happened in the preview... okay).